With social media and digital advertising quickly becoming the verticals where advertisers are focusing more effort and time over traditional media, the hot trend of content marketing continues. In this age of companies directly publishing new and original content, there is one thing marketers always need to keep top of mind: Relevance.
When engaging in content marketing, businesses must ask themselves these 4 questions:
• Why would your audience care about what you’re saying?
• What is the true value of your message?
• Why is this the very best time to share that message?
• What action can your audience take to address their needs?
A Content Marketing Case Study
A recent example of great success in content marketing comes from Holtkamp Heating & Air, a longtime Mighty 8th Media client. The Holtkamps are local experts in providing fast, friendly service to maintain indoor air quality and comfort.
Spring in the Metro Atlanta area brings incredible waves of pollen, both inside and outside the home. This annoying annual yellow cloud wreaks havoc on customer’s allergies and affects their quality of life. On behalf of the Holtkamps, we created a blog post titled 3 Ways to Win the War against Pollen. Chock full of simple tips for the home, car and pets, it was the ideal topic for relevant content marketing.
We then created a Facebook ad with messaging and imagery that showcased the topic and the benefits of clicking over to the blog post.
Using Facebook’s demographic options, we carefully targeted homeowners in the Holtkamp’s service area. Spending just $150, we were able to reach 12, 507 Facebook users, and drove a whopping 651 of them over to the blog post to get these timely tips. In addition to tips, there was a call to action for duct sealing or indoor air purifiers that can be installed. Our Facebook ad relevance score was 10/10.
Why did we have such success? Let’s revisit the relevance:
• Why would your audience care about what you’re saying? The local audience is suffering from allergies and the annoyance of pollen.
• What is the true value of your message? The Holtkamps can help them deal with pollen and improve their life inside and outside their home.
• Why is this the very best time to share that message? The pollen is here now and these tips will immediately help.
• What action can your audience take to address their needs? First, they can implement the free tips. Also, for maximum protection, the Holtkamps can easily seal their ductwork or install a whole home air purifier.
So, the next time you plan to publish original content, be sure you know the answer to these key questions that will lead to the holy grail of content marketing: Relevance.
Can we help with your content marketing needs? Drop us a line!